Well here you are, about to embark on your biggest academic year to date. We realize you’re likely experiencing a myriad of emotions – stress, delight, tension. And, perhaps more than anything, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed at all the work that lies ahead. It’s true that twelfth grade will likely be busy from the get-go. Fortunately, you can gain an edge if you start preparing now.
Here’s a top 10 list (in no particular order) of tasks you can begin tackling before the school year actually begins:
1. Research (and register for) upcoming fall test dates for the SAT/ACT.
2. Contemplate which teachers you’ll ask for recommendations.
3. Brainstorm topics/ideas for your essay/personal statement.
4. Start researching potential scholarships (and their deadlines).
5. Investigate what filling out the FAFSA involves.
6. Consider if you want to apply anywhere Early Decision/Early Action.
7. Research admissions deadlines of the schools you’re considering.
8. Plan any last minute campus visits (the sooner the better).
9. Start finalizing your college application list.
10. Think about who you’ll take to prom.
Senior year is certainly an exciting (though anxiety-ridden) time. There’s a lot to anticipate and a lot of work to undertake. By staying organized, you’ll be able to approach your tasks with confidence and a clear mind. And since, ostensibly, you will be more relaxed, you’ll also be able to fully savor the fun experiences that senior year has to offer!